The Farm

The Farm
This is the farmhouse

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

March came in like a lamb....

We made it through December, January, and February! March came in like a lamb, no snow falling, a windy, but sunny day. So far today, I tried to pay my car payment, but the website is down. I fixed the Flor tiles that needed new tapes, let dogs in and out several times and kept the home fires burning. We have had some trouble with Herman and Scout spraying in the house, so I decided to make some belly bands for them. Scout’s is brown flowered corduroy and Herman’s is a red cotton print. I had some leftover Velcro, flannel pads and the fabric, so this project was free! Scout wasn’t too sure about his, however now he is now laying calmly on the chair, Herman however has been running all over the house in protest. The problem with dachshunds is they are shaped like a barrel so anything wrapped around them will slide eventually. Herman farts when he is stressed, so this has been fun.


I ordered my chickens yesterday. They will be here the first week of April. I ordered an assortment of layers since I don’t know much about chickens yet. We will be buying replacements every year, so hopefully I will have a favorite breed next year when we order new chickens.

We have decided to buy pigs this spring for meat. I found a great book called “Living With Pigs”, it had a ton of information on getting started as well as explaining the benefits of raising pigs. They like to forage so it will be a great way to clear some of the back land for corn next year. I still want a cow, but we need to build a shelter for it, and probably improve the pasture, so getting one may not be practical this year.

This winter has been an experience. I have felt secluded at times, and although I was concerned about falling into depression, I really haven’t. Skills I have gained are bread baking, making very tasty though inexpensive meals, and learning to bounce back when things don’t go as expected. Last week, a stack of my fiesta dishes fell off the shelf. They are pretty heavy, and it was my fault for overloading the shelf. I admit I did cry over broken dishes. It took me quite awhile to accumulate them, and with money being tight, it will be awhile before I get more to replace them, but they are just dishes and so I am over it. I rearranged the shelves and found space for some other things I had forgotten, like my food processor.

I am looking forward to warmer weather, but with over three feet of snow, and more expected tomorrow, it will probably be awhile before we see some.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should start another web blog with your low-cost recipes and bread making techniques. You would have a lot of followers.

    ReplyDelete